Recipe from the Trophy Room
Chef Biggs has another of his favorite recipes to share with you this month! Duck Confit is a French dish made with the leg of the duck. Check out this recipe below or you can leave the cooking to the professionals and stop by the Trophy Room at Old Kinderhook for a delicious meal. Old Kinderhook features one of the best fine dining restaurants at the Lake of the Ozarks!
6 duck legs
3 oz salt
2 oz brown sugar
1 T ground bay leaf
2 t thyme leaves
1.5 T minced garlic
10 black peppercorns
2 t chopped rosemary
72 fl oz duck fat
1) Mix the salt, sugar, bay leaf, garlic, peppercorns and rosemary together.
2) Trim excess fat off of the duck legs. Rub cure mixture on the duck legs and then place in a stainless steel pan & press with a weight. Refrigerate for 48 hours.
3) Rinse the duck legs and pat them dry with a towel.
4) Bring the duck fat to a simmer then add the duck legs - simmer for 3 hours or until the leg meat is tender and pulls off the leg easily.
5) Allow the duck to cool slightly and remove the meat from the bone and rough chop it. Place the meat in mason jars and cover the meat with just enough fat to completely cover it. Refrigerate for up to six months.
For other delicious recipes and meals, be sure to check out Chef Biggs' monthly cooking classes. The Trophy Room at Old Kinderhook is the perfect place to dine at the Lake. Our chef has prepared menus ranging from sandwiches and pizza to steak and seafood with nightly features. Ask us about hosting your Holiday Party at Old Kinderhook! Open to the public year-round, Old Kinderhook provides breakfast, lunch, dinner and private parties at prices that won't break the bank!